The Plainsboro Preserve is a collaboration with the Township of Plainsboro, the County of Middlesex,
and New Jersey Audubon. Close to 1,000 acres of lands were preserved by the County of Middlesex and the Township of Plainsboro that supports a diversity of habitats and wildlife, with one of the largest lakes in the area.
New Jersey Audubon manages the Preserve and Nature Center, providing year round environmental education opportunities for the local community. The Preserve is a lasting ecological legacy for current and future generations. The Nature Center houses a variety of exhibits, live animals, a reference library, a Nature Store, and several miles of trails.
Enjoy over five miles of trails meandering through mature beech woods, wet meadows, and the shoreline of scenic 50-acre McCormack Lake. Walk the floodplain of Devil’s Brook in search of the more than 150 species of birds that call the preserve home during the year. Plants on site consist of a diverse showing of spring wildflowers and also include over ten species of rare or endangered plant species found sparingly elsewhere in the state including the majestic southern Twayblade orchid. In addition to the trails, we are running programs on some weekends.
Trails Open Daily
7:30am – 6pm (Hours are seasonal)
Winter: closes at 5pm
Center Building Hours
Tuesday – Saturday 9am – 5pm
Sunday 12pm – 5pm
Winter: closes at 4pm all days
Closed Mondays and Holidays
Center upcoming events
Things To Do
- Over 5 Miles of trails
- Environmental Education Center
- Indoor tree house
- Under the pond room
- Lake view deck
- Reference library
- Nature store
Plainsboro Preserve Summer Nature Camps
NJ Audubon is committed to guiding your child in outdoor adventures that foster a deeper connection with the natural world and that are engaging, fun and support STEM learning through hands-on experiences.
Our summer education team is highly trained and maintain optimal teacher-child ratios. NJ Audubon membership is required to sign up for camps. Members strengthen the voice with which NJA speaks out for protection of NJ’s wildlife and natural areas.
School and Youth Environmental Education Programs
New programs coming soon, please call 609-427-3052 for information
We work with Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts, and Girl Scouts of all levels, to provide badge work and special projects. We love working with Scouts, and offer a variety of badges that relate to the Plainsboro Preserve and Central New Jersey wildlife and natural environments. We also work with individual Scouts on Bronze, Silver and Gold Star Awards, and community service and Eagle Scout projects. If you have a troop, or are a Scout, call for more information.
- Programs are 90 minutes unless otherwise noted.
- Cost is $100 for the first 10 Scouts, and $10.00 per additional scout or sibling up to a total of 20 participants. There is no cost for leaders or chaperones.
- $50 deposit will hold your reservation. Payment of balance is due upon arrival on the day of your program.
- Deposits are non-refundable within 14 days of your scheduled program.
Yes, we love to party, but even more so, we love to take partiers out on our trails and into the fields to learn about our wildlife while having a fantastically fun time. Meet small live animals in the classroom, go on scavenger hunts or fun bird walks, explore vernal pools for tadpoles and frogs, or learn to read the signs and track our local wildlife.
Parties are held all year long, with winter parties being extra fun! Do something different to celebrate the nature lover in your family.
- Parties are booked for a two hour period on Saturdays: either 11:00 am – 1:00pm or 2:30pm – 4:30pm
- Sunday parties 1:00pm – 3:00pm may be booked by special arrangement.
- $250 for a party of up to 20 children. There is no cost for adults, but there is a maximum of 36 people allowed in each party room. Larger parties may be booked by special arrangement.
- Parties are a NJ Audubon member privilege, and an active Family Membership is required.
- Parties are appropriate, with different themes, for children turning 4 years old to 10 years old.
- $50 deposit and your membership fee will hold your reservation. Payment of balance is due upon arrival on the day of your party.
- Deposits are non-refundable within 14 days of your scheduled party.
Staff & Personnel
Lead Teacher Naturalist
Kathy Easton, Greg Hartman, Chris Magarelli, Heidi Mass, Kris Miller, Shari-Beth Nadell, Elizabeth Roedell, Vicki Schwartz
All Things Birds
Pete Bacinski, Patrick Belardo,Tom Brown, Hank Burk, Jason Denesevich, Rob & Lisa Fanning, Carole Hughes, Jonathan Klizas, Linda Mack, Mike Mandracchia and Alan Mart
- No smoking, except in the parking area.
- No picnicking, fires, camping or woodcutting.
- No alcoholic beverages on the property.
- No vehicles, bicycles, skateboards or horses on the trails.
- No hunting or fishing.
- No collecting of plants or animals.
- No pets.
- Leave only footprints — Take only pictures and memories.
80 Scotts Corner Road
Cranbury, NJ 08512