Join our Cause
You might be just the person we’re looking for to fill an open position. To apply for any of the positions listed below, send a resume and cover letter to the address listed for that position. The New Jersey Audubon Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, age, national origin, ethnic background, disability or any other characteristic protected by law. We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage all qualified professionals to apply.
|Position Title:||Maintenance/Property Worker|
|Department||Plainsboro Preserve Facilities|
|Location:||Plainsboro Preserve, Cranbury, NJ|
|Reports To:||Sanctuary Director|
|Job Classification||Part-time, hourly, hours vary seasonally|
|April 1 – October 31 approximately 12 hours per week
November 1 – March 31 approximately 8 hours per week
Part time maintenance position is responsible for maintenance and upkeep of grounds, buildings and facilities, and for weekly cleaning of the building at New Jersey Audubon Society’s Plainsboro Preserve Center.
- Groundskeeping and building maintenance including (but not limited to) lawn mowing, weed removal, landscaping, garbage removal, road and site improvements, chainsaw use, and general facility maintenance.
- Ensuring the safety of visitors, program participants, volunteers, and staff by keeping the building and grounds safe and in good order; keeping all entrances to the Nature Center free of leaves, snow and ice; limbing and removing trees/branches from trails or anywhere they present a safety concern.
- Maintenance of lawn mower and additional power equipment.
- Maintenance of nature center building – painting, light construction, repair work, and general maintenance.
- Weekly cleaning of the interior of the building, including vacuuming all carpeted floors, wet mopping all tiled floors, cleaning public and staff restrooms, emptying trash and recycling, and dusting public areas and offices.
- Set up and break down of furniture and equipment for public events and programs.
- Supervisory responsibilities for volunteers and community service workers performing maintenance/management work on site.
- Trail work and maintenance.
- Assistance with bird seed.
- Removal/management of introduced invasive plant species.
- Participates with other center staff to adopt a “team” approach towards daily operations at the Center.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 2 to 3 years relevant experience. Knowledge of grounds maintenance and equipment upkeep (lawn mower, chain saw, weed whacker, leaf blower, etc.)
- High School Diploma or equivalent (GED), be at least 18 years of age, possess a valid driver’s license in good standing, able to move materials and equipment weighing over 50 pounds, walk on wooded trails or over rough terrain.
- Knowledge and ability to do light construction work and building maintenance is essential. General knowledge of plumbing, electrical, and horticulture helpful.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to accept direction and constructive feedback.
- Punctual with excellent organizational, time and project management skills with the ability to manage multiple projects, shifting priorities and meet deadlines.
- Strong professionalism and work ethic.
- Motivated self-starter with capacity to work in a team setting.
- Ability to demonstrate initiative and a positive attitude.
- Ability to relate to a diverse range of people and exercise cultural competence and inclusion.
- Must be physically able and willing to perform all aspects of job in all seasons.
- Flexibility to adjust hours to meet special needs of the Center.
Starting date: Immediately
Salary: Commensurate with experience.
To apply: Please send cover letter of interest and resume, as a single PDF document listing job position in subject line, to email@example.com
Application deadline: Position will be posted until filled.
We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage all qualified professionals to apply. The New Jersey Audubon Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, age, national origin, ethnic background, disability or any other characteristic protected by law.