Engage Students in Sustainability Education with Distance Learning!
Give students a healthy dose of distraction from current events with nature through place-based learning in their homes, yards and sidewalks with Eco-Schools and our distance learning lessons including short You-Tube videos, indoor and outdoor experiences, and Google Docs with less steps to awards:
1) AUDIT – Students use their homes, yards and neighborhood as a teaching tool to collect data through our distance learning lessons!
2) ACTION PLAN – Students create a list of actions and each choose ONE to create a measured improvement. For example:
- Local litter pick-up or improve recycling in their home to reduce waste
- Plant a home garden or draw plans for one to build this summer to support wildlife
- Unplug unused devices in the home to reduce energy
- Create informational videos and share with your community
- Write and illustrate stories about the watershed to share with younger students
- Be creative and have fun to achieve pathway goals!
3) ECO-CODE – Create a mission statement or call to action the whole school or community can get behind
4) COMMUNITY – (TEACHERS) Update your Eco-Schools Dashboard to share their results with the school and community
5) APPLY FOR YOUR BRONZE, SILVER OR GREEN FLAG AWARD!
World Series of Birding – May 9th
As a virtual WSB Ambassadors team, your students and their families will observe and identify birds from their yards or locally. Ambassador level participation is free. Donations kindly accepted.
Congratulations to New Jersey’s Green Flag Schools
Unity Charter School, Morris Township, 2012, 2015, 2018
Alder Ave Middle School, Egg Harbor Township, 2013
Benjamin Franklin Elementary School, Lawrenceville, 2013
Three Bridges School, Three Bridges, 2014
William Annin Middle School, Basking Ridge, 2015
Whitehouse School, Whitehouse Station, 2016
Woodcliff Middle School, Woodcliff Lake, 2016
Woodrow Wilson Middle School, Edison, 2016
Duarte Marti School No.28, Elizabeth , 2017
Egg Harbor Township High School, Egg Harbor Township, 2017
Essex County School Of Technology, West Caldwell, 2017
George L. Catrambone Elementary School, Long Branch, 2017
Holland Township School, Milford, 2017
Long Branch Middle School, Long Branch, 2017
Princeton Day School, Princeton, 2017
Delbarton School, Morristown, 2018
Joyce Kilmer School, Milltown, 2018
Parkview School, Milltown, 2018
Bear Tavern Elementary School, Titusville, 2019
Corpus Christi School, Hasbrouck Heights, 2019
Montclair Kimberley Academy, Montclair, 2019
Watch how students and teachers in Malaysia implement Eco-Schools
Eco-Schools USA in New Jersey is provided by a partnership with the National Wildlife Federation and paid for through grants from: