MATCHING GIFTS – A GREAT WAY TO DOUBLE YOUR DONATION – FOR FREE!
Would you believe that there is a way that you can double your donation to New Jersey Audubon Society (NJAS) at no additional cost to you? It’s true. Many employers today offer what is known as matching gifts programs. The idea is that when you contribute to NJAS, your company might match your gift to us with a donation of their own, usually dollar for dollar. In effect, your contribution is actually doubled!
The concept was born by a General Electric executive back in 1954, who believed strongly in philanthropy and wanted to encourage his employees to contribute to causes which they believed in. He determined that the incentive to contribute would be greater if the company matched the employee’s gift. Soon afterwards, other corporations began seeing the importance of such a program and matching gift programs have been helping donors and charities ever since.
Companies often want to support nonprofit organizations where their offices are located. There are 10 NJAS nature centers and 34 sanctuaries preserving over 3,000 acres throughout the state, serving the entire New Jersey community. A matching gift donation from your employer also contributes to the communities where they do business, where their employees live and of course, making a great impact on New Jersey’s natural environment and habitat. Everybody benefits.
So how do you get started? Matching gift procedures vary from employer to employer but the following example is typical:
- Visit your human resources department to see if your employer has a matching gifts program and obtain their matching gifts form.
- Fill out the employee portion of the form and then send it along with your donation to NJAS.
- We fill out our portion of the form, certifying that we have received your donation and then forward that information back to your employer
- Your employer verifies your eligibility and ensures that NJAS has met their requirements.
- Your employer sends the matching gift to us.
Since 1897, New Jersey Audubon Society has been helping to safeguard nature’s treasures, providing a lasting legacy for generations to come.
Please consider joining us by looking into your employer’s matching gift policy when making a donation.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Carol Diveny, Director of Corporate and Foundation Relations by email or at (908) 396-6520.